Robert specialises in intellectual property (advisory, commercial and contentious) and related information technology and media work including data protection (data privacy), freedom of information, advertising and sales promotion. Robert advises on copyright, design rights, trade marks, patents, know-how and trade secrets, database rights, moral rights and all forms of registered and unregistered IPR, with particular focus on creative industries.
Robert has a particular interest in entertainment and convergence (between traditionally separate industries in relation to the delivery of electronic content, be it film, TV, publishing, gambling or other multimedia), and also advises a great number of brands and fashion industry clients.
Robert is a voting member of BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts).
He is also Worldwide Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of Meritas, the global network of independent law firms.
• High growth Tech companies on IP protection, licensing, software development and operational agreements
• Film and TV production companies on content, production and distribution issues
• on IP infringement claims on behalf of numerous IP owners
• on endorsements for and with sports people and other public figures
• artists, galleries and arts bodies such as the Association of Illustrators
• well known fashion, jewellery and retail brands on trade mark and design infringements, licensing, brand promotion, franchising and agency agreements
• IP aspects of media related mergers and acquisitions (especially companies in Tech, media or entertainment space).
Is a toxophilite (go on, Google it, you know you want to).
Get in touch
T: +44 (0) 20 3755 5557
F: +44 (0) 20 3650 6909
T: +44 (0)20 3755 5825
"[Robert Lands] huge deep knowledge, particularly with regard to knotty areas of regulation."
Chambers UK 2017
Legal 500 UK
"great confidence in his advice" and appreciate his "friendly and accessible approach."
Chambers UK 2016
"Thoughtful, measured and practical'."
Legal 500 UK 2015
"Robert Lands of Howard Kennedy leads the IP team and handles all manner of IP work with an emphasis on transactional and non-contentious matters. Sources appreciate his endeavours to understand their businesses and tailor his advice accordingly."
Chambers UK 2015