Financial services dispute resolution
Whether you are an investor affected by institutional mis-selling or market manipulation, a business in dispute with your lender, or an investment professional facing allegations of negligence, we can help. You might be involved in a High Court action or proceedings before the Financial Ombudsman Service, or seeking redress from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Our experienced team can advise you throughout the process.
Your dispute might also be highly complex, potentially involve several jurisdictions and might raise wider issues such as the impact on your reputation or your regulatory obligations. We offer strategic advice to help you resolve your dispute as quickly and cost effectively as you can. We specialise in highlighting these sensitive collateral matters and managing them alongside formal proceedings.
Our recent experience includes:
- representing the claimant in Zeid v Credit Suisse (Teare J and Court of Appeal) in an action for damages of US$70 million for losses due to breaches of the Conduct of Business Rules, negligence and breach of fiduciary obligation in relation to investment advice
- advising on overseas litigation and breaches of trust by a Monaco-based management company on a complex offshore arrangement for £20 million trust funds
- advising on a multi-million pound claim against a Swiss hedge fund arising out of investments made contrary to the investor's instructions
acting for the estate of a high net worth individual against a major investment bank in a multi-million pound claim for negligent investment advice and breach of statutory duty
- advising the claimant on a £2 million dispute against an independent financial adviser in liquidation, arising out of investments in the Matrix fund
advising individuals on claims against the trustees for mismanagement of funds in a Channel Islands trust fund
- acting for the defendant in a £52 million claim in relation to a pension fund, involving actions in several jurisdictions
- representing a corporate defendant in a high value action for investor losses due to fraudulent trading, unjust enrichment/knowing receipt and unlawful means conspiracy
- successfully defending a mortgagor against unjustified attempts by the mortgagee bank to terminate the finance arrangements and enforce security under a marine mortgage
- acting regularly for both claimants and defendants in professional negligence actions against auditors, accountants, tax advisers, banks, surveyors, IFAs and investment advisers.