Howard Kennedy LLP and GBS Africa held a panel discussion on the key trends in renewable energy with a particular focus on the opportunities and challenges facing the African region.
Our panel of experts included:
- Mr Ibrahim Kitoo: Chief Legal Officer, KenGen (Kenya's National Power Generation Company)
- Stephen Karangizi: Director and CEO, The African Legal Support Facility (part of the African Development Bank)
- William Barry: Managing Director, ARCH Emerging Markets Partners
- Ricardo Martinez: Director, Qbera Capital (asset management firm).
The discussion was chaired by Jonathan Cohen, Head of Energy and Duncan Bagshaw, Head of the Africa Group at Howard Kennedy and key points included:
- New renewable energy procurement models
- Emerging revenue opportunities
- Policy and regulatory challenges facing African jurisdictions
- Sourcing and structuring funding
- Future renewable technologies
- Planning for, avoiding, and resolving disputes.