Our energy experts represent clients including utilities, project developers, industrial consumers, property developers, funders, sponsors and energy services companies (ESCOs) on UK and international transactions.
The team has advised across all technologies including offshore and onshore wind, solar PV, combined heat & power (CHP), energy storage, district heating and cooling, geothermal and wave and tidal.
Our legal experts understand the energy industry’s complex set of rules, regulations and incentives so that we can help our clients navigate the changing energy landscape.
We regularly advise on:
- the appropriate corporate structure required to deliver energy solutions
- requirements under the planning consenting and permitting regime
- drafting robust construction and O&M provisions in project agreements
- land right issues, including property procurement and required utility infrastructure works
- project financing and structuring issues
- offtake arrangements and available revenue streams
- Advising Hazel Capital on the establishment of two VCTs funds which raised £42m for deployment in 19 solar PV projects
- Advising Triple Point Investment Management LLP in respect of energy sector focused share offers for two VCTs which sought to raise, in aggregate, £80 million
- Acting for a US hedge fund on its acquisition of one of the largest offshore windfarms in the UK, the 100 wind turbine, 300 MW Thanet wind farm and subsequently advising on the refinancing and subsequent sale of Thanet Offshore Wind Ltd to Vattenfall AB
- Advising the utility-scale developer AES on its portfolio of energy storage assets in the UK
- Drafting the first energy storage PPA in the UK for a leading offtaker, in respect of a co-located onshore wind and battery project
- Advising Land Securities as the project sponsor of a large multi-utility scheme at Kent Thameside
- Advising Stratford City Business District (a joint venture between Lend Lease and London & Continental Railways) on the International Quarter, Stratford, the London Olympics District Heating and Cooling Scheme.
- Advising the master developer, Swan Housing Association, on the district heating scheme to serve residential and commercial customers on a large regeneration scheme in Blackwall, East London
- Advising Greenwich Peninsula Regeneration Ltd (owned by Knight Dragon Developments) in connection with the low carbon energy solution for the Greenwich peninsula.
- Advising an international developer on the drafting of a PPA in respect of a 40MW solar PV facility in Northern Ghana
- Advising CGN Europe, the Chinese state-sponsored developer, on the purchase of three windfarms from EDF Energy and the renegotiation of the power purchase agreements (PPAs) for those windfarms and the project financings
- Advising Glennmont Partners on the development of two 40MW biomass projects: Port Clarence Biomass CHP and the Margam Biomass Power Station
- Advising SunEdison Inc. the large US solar developer on the development of novel residential solar roof licence and leases for their residential solar PV portfolio in the UK