Our group advice spans all clean technology projects including wind, solar PV, combined heat & power, energy storage, district heating and cooling, electric vehicles, geothermal and wave and tidal.
Despite recent energy price volatility and an ever changing regulatory and policy framework, there are many new business models and revenue streams emerging creating opportunities for those operating in the sector. In a world of changing rules, regulations and incentives, clarity is key for investments. So you need an adviser who is immersed in the industry and understands it from every angle. Someone who knows how to figure out the possibilities and pitfalls. Who acts fast and gets results.
We touch every part of the energy sector: utility companies, project developers, funders, sponsors, ESCOs and large commercial and industrial consumers. So we know what it takes to navigate the changing landscape and understand what constitutes a 'bankable' investment.
Across all your legal and business requirements, you’ll get direct answers that are free from legal jargon and rooted firmly in the commercial word. Whether it’s advising on corporate structures, project financing and structuring, property procurement, consenting or offtake arrangements.
You’ll have a team behind you who are easy to work with, and who can connect you with the people and organisations you need. In a sector where transformation and disruption are the norm, we’ll make life as hassle-free as possible.
We regularly advise on:
- the appropriate corporate structure required to deliver energy solutions
- requirements under the planning consenting and permitting regime
- drafting robust construction and O&M provisions in project agreements
- land right issues, including property procurement and required utility infrastructure works
- project financing and structuring issues
- offtake arrangements and available revenue streams
- Advising Hazel Capital on the establishment of two VCTs funds which raised £42m for deployment in 19 solar PV projects
- Advising Triple Point Investment Management LLP in respect of energy sector focused share offers for two VCTs which sought to raise, in aggregate, £80 million
- Acting for a US hedge fund on its acquisition of one of the largest offshore wind farms in the UK, the 100 wind turbine, 300 MW Thanet wind farm and subsequently advising on the refinancing and subsequent sale of Thanet Offshore Wind Ltd to Vattenfall AB
- Advising the utility-scale developer AES on its portfolio of energy storage assets in the UK
- Drafting the first energy storage PPA in the UK for a leading offtaker, in respect of a co-located onshore wind and battery project
- Advising Land Securities as the project sponsor of a large multi-utility scheme at Kent Thameside
- Advising Stratford City Business District (a joint venture between Lend Lease and London & Continental Railways) on the International Quarter, Stratford, the London Olympics District Heating and Cooling Scheme.
- Advising the master developer, Swan Housing Association, on the district heating scheme to serve residential and commercial customers on a large regeneration scheme in Blackwall, East London
- Advising Greenwich Peninsula Regeneration Ltd (owned by Knight Dragon Developments) in connection with the low carbon energy solution for the Greenwich peninsula.
- Advising an international developer on the drafting of a PPA in respect of a 40MW solar PV facility in Northern Ghana
- Advising CGN Europe, the Chinese state-sponsored developer, on the purchase of three wind farms from EDF Energy and the renegotiation of the power purchase agreements (PPAs) for those wind farms and the project financings
- Advising Glennmont Partners on the development of two 40MW biomass projects: Port Clarence Biomass CHP and the Margam Biomass Power Station
- Advising SunEdison Inc. the large US solar developer on the development of novel residential solar roof licence and leases for their residential solar PV portfolio in the UK