Susie is an experienced employment lawyer advising employers and senior executives in many different sectors and across a range of employment issues and disputes. She always seeks to provide commercial, pragmatic advice, keeping her client's objectives at the heart of what she does. Her work includes;
- advising overseas organisations on the employment law aspects of expansion into the UK; and
- advising on non-employment arrangements and issues of employment status (casual workers, zero hours contracts, self-employed contractors, freelancers, interns etc.)
- bringing and defending Employment Tribunal and High Court claims;
- advising on restructuring programmes and redundancies;
- handling grievances and disciplinary issues;
- drafting and advising on senior level service agreements, contracts of employment, consultancy agreements, staff handbooks, policies and procedures;
- exit negotiations and settlement agreements;
Susie is the firm’s non-partner liaison for its membership of Meritas, a leading global alliance of law firms, and advises a lot of international clients setting up operations and engaging staff for the first time in the UK.
Susie also deals extensively with individual clients with private and domestic employment issues as part of the firm's HK One service, which is a ‘concierge style’ personal legal service.
Susie is a regular contributor to the Employment Team's e-alerts, articles and blogs on key legal developments, and speaks regularly at the firm's seminars. She has had several articles published in the legal/HR press, particularly in the area of employment status and the different types of employment arrangement.
Susie also provides bespoke in-house training for clients (HR and managers) on employment law issues.
Before becoming a solicitor, Susie spent several years working in marketing/market research for Procter & Gamble in London and Geneva.
- Advising on numerous redundancy programmes and reorganisations to achieve commercial objectives and minimise exposure to claims;
- Successfully settling high value and potentially damaging race discrimination and whistleblowing Tribunal claims for a global energy sector client;
- Advising a Dutch-based company through a challenging disciplinary process involving allegations of sexual harassment against a senior member of staff;
- Advising a national construction company on the personnel/TUPE aspects of the sale of their plant business with minimal disruption to the business;
- Settling discrimination and automatic unfair dismissal claims for a senior female executive following her return from maternity leave;
- Representing a FTSE 100 global energy & natural resources business in the successful defence of High Court wrongful dismissal and share/incentive claims by an ex-employee;
- Preparing a bespoke sub-contractor contract and status questionnaire for a leading construction company client and successful handling of a number of employment status Tribunal claims from self-employed sub-contractors;
- Advising an employer through a complex sickness absence case involving complex mental health issues to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome;
- Drafting start-up employment documents for many overseas businesses setting up in the UK (including management and non-management employment contracts, casual workers contract, staff handbooks, and advising on UK employment law and best practice);
- Advising a 'shared economy/platform provider' client on managing employment status risks.
- Drafting and negotiating exit terms with various household staff when their employer died. This included unpicking some complex international jurisdictional issues and tax risks, and dealing with some challenging family dynamics.
- Advising on arrangements for the engagement and dismissal of domestic staff/carers by individual end-user clients.
I hail from Cornwall and love all things Cornish!