John is a senior associate in the firm’s business crime and professional discipline team and defends business personnel and professionals facing criminal charges, regulatory or disciplinary proceedings.
He has a particular interest in representing businesses subject to investigations by local authorities and is currently acting for a number of clients on a private basis. John regularly represents his clients in interviews conducted by the police and regulators.
John advises solicitors under investigation by the Solicitors Regulation Authority at all stages of the process, including making representations against the imposition of practising certificate conditions. He is highly recommended in the Legal 500 for his work in the legal and financial sectors.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor John served with the British Army as a special investigator, crime scene examiner and intelligence analyst. He has investigated many serious matters including fraud and war crimes.
- an entrepreneur in relation to an allegation that he fraudulently claimed a government regeneration grant
- an American corporation in respect of fraudulent invoices submitted by its UK supplier
- a money transaction business in relation to the fraudulent retention of client monies by a payment clearing service based in the Middle East
- an accountant who is alleged to have created a false instrument
- Vincent Tchenguiz during an interview with the SFO
Bribery and Corruption
- A US company on the adequacy of the anti-bribery policy adopted by its UK subsidiary and the further steps necessary to afford an adequate procedure defence in respect of a transaction with a Nigerian company.
- a nationwide retailer in respect of an allegation that its sale comparison prices were misleading
- a secondary ticket agent subject to a joint police and local authority investigation
- a number of secondary ticket agents on compliance with consumer protection regulations
- retailers and importers on Suspension Notices and proceedings for breaches of the Electrical Safety, Toy Safety and General Product Safety Regulations
- a company on proceedings brought by a local authority for an alleged breach of the Packaging (Essential Requirements) Regulations. Representations lead to discontinuance of proceedings and an award of costs to his client
Health & Safety/Food Safety
- a food supplier in respect of contaminated meat products
- a food manufacturer following a serious work place accident
- a residential landlord on potential criminal liability for breaches of health and safety legislation following a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning fatality
Mutual Legal Assistance/Sanctions
- company directors, an art dealer and a solicitor in relation to international "letters of request" for interviews or witness statements for use in investigations or proceedings abroad
- a businessman in relation to a police investigation into money laundering and possible breach of EU/UK sanctions
- Solicitors, doctors, senior police officers, art dealers and business clients facing criminal allegations. Cases include fraud, motoring offences, assault, possession of controlled drugs, secondary football ticket sales, handling stolen goods, computer misuse (hacking) and sexual offences
- a distributor of foreign satellite TV viewing card that enabled subscribers to view F.A. Premiership games. Representations lead to discontinuance of proceedings by the CPS and an order for payment of costs. John is now representing the client in a judicial review of the Magistrates' decision to issue a search warrant
- a company director on an OISC investigation into an allegation of providing immigration advice whilst unqualified. An informal caution was successfully negotiated
- a well-known journalist arrested for theft. A caution was successfully negotiated
- a residential landlord on enforcement proceedings brought by a local authority for an alleged breach of a Planning Enforcement Notice
- a TV executive accused of voyeurism. A caution for a public order offence was successfully negotiated
- a solicitor accused of participating in a pre-emptive alternative business structure (ABS). Representations lead the SRA to withdraw all allegations in the week before the hearing
- a firm of personal injury solicitors on its referral arrangements and relationship with a claims management company (CMC)
- a corporation on issues arising from an SRA inspection of its in-house legal department
John has participated in internal investigations into:
- alleged cartel activity by a major corporation
- a hedge fund suspected of covert stake building in breach of the criminal code of a European (non-EC) state
- a well-known charity in relation to offences committed by employees and volunteers
Harassment and Blackmail
- John works with the family and litigation teams to protect the interests of victims of harassment and blackmail. John recently represented a US citizen who was subject to online harassment including the posting of ‘revenge porn’ by a person resident in England. The perpetrator was arrested by the police and is awaiting trial for the offences of blackmail and stalking.
Police misconduct/IPCC investigations
- Members of Chief Police Officers Staff Association (CPOSA) in a number of policy disciplinary matters. He
successfully defended a chief officer accused of corruption and misconduct in public office
- John has particular expertise in the application of police disciplinary procedures to civilian members of police staff and advised a director level employee in a case in which the disciplinary body was persuaded to withdraw all charges immediately before the commencement of a planned hearing