Residence and Domicile
The world today is more dynamic than ever and a significant proportion of our clients have an international dimension to their affairs.
This can present complex challenges but also significant opportunities, particularly in personal tax planning.
Our services include:
- advising clients about UK law and Inland Revenue (HMRC) practice regarding residence, domicile and deemed domicile for UK tax purposes
- advice concerning conflicts of law and the interaction of UK and foreign succession and tax laws
- advising non-domiciled clients about the use of offshore structures to mitigate UK tax
- tax planning advice for those coming to or leaving the UK
- structuring clients’ offshore accounts to mitigate their UK tax liability by making use of the remittance basis
Recent experience advising:
- a family who have emigrated from the UK to minimise the inheritance tax exposure on their UK assets
- non-UK domiciled clients concerning the UK tax treatment of their income and capital gains arising outside the UK
- the UK heirs of a foreign domiciled family member concerning UK tax planning opportunities for the estate
- a retired entrepreneur prior to his arrival in the UK concerning wealth structuring to make optimum use of his non-domiciled status