Administration of Estates
We take away the stresses and uncertainties that can arise when administering a person’s estate. We have extensive experience from straight forward UK cases, to high value complex estates with assets in many jurisdictions.
We deal with the effective management of the administration process from start to finish. We advise on the legal and tax issues, and deal with the figure work.
Our services include:
- advising you on the terms of the Will and any other relevant documents
- explaining the process and dealing with the information gathering exercise
- preparing the documents required to obtain probate including the Inheritance Tax account and Oath for Executors
- making the application for the Grant of Probate (or Letters of Administration)
- after Probate has been granted, dealing with the assets and liabilities of the estate as required
- liaising with HM Revenue and Customs as necessary
- assisting the Executors with paying legacies and making distributions from the estate
- organising the estate accounts and any tax returns required for the administration period
- advising on appropriate tax saving opportunities.
We have recently helped:
- the Executors and Trustees of an estate (valued at approximately £200 million, which included complex family trusts and companies) to ensure tax efficient succession of the family business to the next generations
- Executors responsible for substantial assets in various jurisdictions (US, New Zealand and South Africa) to co-ordinate the transfer of those assets to the beneficiaries
- Executors located outside the UK to understand and manage UK inheritance tax issues arising from substantial assets situated in the UK
- Executors of a well-known artist by preparing and negotiating the sale of art and representation agreements with galleries.