Libel, Defamation & Reputation
Our team regularly advise individuals, businesses and not-for-profit organisations on defamation (libel and slander), malicious falsehood and reputation protection and management.
Our clients include traditional media organisations such as newspapers, magazines, TV, radio and satellite, as well as those working in new media, such as online and social media enterprises. We also frequently act for businesses as well as high profile and ultra-high net worth individuals.
We have worked on cases in all levels of the UK domestic courts, in the European Court of Human Rights, the European Court of Justice, the Privy Council and the Inter American Court of Human Rights. We regularly advise in connection with:
- advertising compliance
- broadcast licensing/compliance
- data protection (privacy)
- editorial and professional guidelines/codes of conduct
- emergency injunctions/advice
- freedom of information and expression
- international libel and privacy
- media law and regulation
- pre-publication clearance for content
- reporting restrictions in the UK and abroad
- right to be forgotten
- social media
Recent experience includes:
- advising the British Humanist Association and Witchcraft and Human Rights Information Network on a £500 million claim brought by an evangelical preacher from Nigeria who is claiming that her reputation and livelihood have been damaged following reports by BHA that accuse her of exploiting superstitious beliefs around demonic possession, which can and often does result in the endangering of vulnerable children. Click here for more information.
- acting on behalf of the editor-in-chief of a Mauritian, French language newspaper, in a successful appeal in the Privy Council against a conviction by the Supreme Court of Mauritius for contempt by way of scandalising the court. Click here for more information.
- advising in connection with the News International mobile telephone voicemail hacking litigation.
- advising on several matters involving the posting of sensitive photographs, videos and comments on social media and other websites and related reputational issues.