Criminal Defence and Police Station Representation
Our team has developed a specialism in representing individuals in financial crime and criminal investigations.
Led by Ian Ryan, we regularly act for high net worth individuals, celebrities, athletes, politicians, journalists and corporates. We also advise witnesses and victims of crime.
We are highly experienced in representing clients at police interviews under caution which is often the most critical and stressful part of the investigation stage. Our lawyers regularly represent clients facing a criminal trial and we have an excellent reputation for securing acquittals.
We pride ourselves on our discretion and sensitivity. We are skilled in ensuring that our cases are not reported in the press and consequently clients instruct the team on the most sensitive matters.
We regularly collaborate with the firm's media team thus ensuring clients have specialised reputational advice to protect them.
We also advise commercial organisations and corporates where employees or third parties have committed criminal acts.
Notable work includes:
- Successfully defending Mark Hanna, the Head of Security of News UK, in the Rebekah Brooks "trial of the century" at the Old Bailey
- Representing Julian Assange in extradition proceedings to Sweden
- Representing a well-known TV personality in an interview at the police station for assault. No charges were brought
- Advising a high profile British businessman on potential criminal liability in relation to the Equatorial Guinea coup
- Advising celebrities when making reports to the police as victims of crime
- Successful written representations to the CPS on behalf of a high profile CEO who was wrongly charged with racially aggravated assault
- Successfully representing a medical practitioner concerning allegations of assisting suicide
- Successfully negotiating a bind-over for a TV producer for breach of peace after criminal charges of harassment were dropped
- Representing Brazilian international footballer Robinho on a serious allegation of sexual assault. No charges were brought
- Representing James Glen in the Stansted bomb hoax investigation
- Successfully representing a widow in a high profile case where she was interviewed by the police for assisting the suicide of her husband
- Negotiated cautions on behalf of clients as alternatives to criminal prosecution, including on behalf of a high profile journalist
- Successfully quashing the caution, reinstating the good character and halting disciplinary proceedings of a prominent high net worth individual.