Bribery & Corruption
Our specialist team are experienced in dealing with bribery and corruption investigations for corporates, individuals and agents.
We regularly represent both suspects and witnesses and we have been involved in some of the most noteworthy cases in the UK.
We frequently carry out internal investigations where bribery and corruption are suspected by a company, often with a cross-border element, and we are experienced in liaising with the authorities with regard to a potential self-report by the company.
Many of the cases we are instructed on are complex and involve multiple jurisdictions. We have built strong relationships with outstanding legal professionals worldwide which put us in an unrivalled position to ensure our clients are comprehensively advised on cross-jurisdictional concerns.
We also carry out Bribery Act audits, prepare and tailor bribery policies, advice on gifts and hospitality, and assist in due diligence and risk management.
Our services include:
- Representing individuals and corporates in criminal proceedings
- Reviewing compliance procedures and processes
- Advice in relation to Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) and self-reporting
- Internal investigations
- Employment advice
- Advice and representation in extradition proceedings
- Money laundering
- Restraint orders.
Notable work includes:
- Acting in two overseas corruption cases involving major British companies
- Representing two directors involved in the SFO's investigation into accounting practices at Tesco
- Representing a commercial director of an oil service company in corruption allegations involving one of the world's major oil companies
- Acting in confiscation proceedings relating to bribery and corruption
- Representing a Deputy Chief Constable following his arrest on allegations of corruption
- Representing an individual in the SFO Rolls-Royce investigation
- Advising a Medical Reports Agency in respect of its potential criminal liability under the Bribery Act arising from payments received