We have signed the Race Fairness Commitment because we want fairness at work for people of all ethnic backgrounds – so everyone has an equal chance to succeed.
It's clear that racial inequality still exists in the legal industry. Both Black, Asian and ethnic minority lawyers are significantly underrepresented in mid to large size law firms, and firms with 50 plus partners have the lowest proportion of partners from these communities (source: Solicitors Regulation Authority).
Together with Magic Circle, global and other City law firms we're pledging to introduce data-driven measures that ensure Black, Asian and ethnic minority candidates receive the same opportunities as their white counterparts.
What have we agreed to do?
- Have recruitment practices that are fair and inclusive.
- Ensure Black and all ethnic minority people in the firm experience fair treatment in career progression, development and salary.
- Create a workplace where Black and all ethnic minority people are as able to be themselves at work as their white colleagues.
How will we do this?
- Monitor employee lifecycles, from recruitment to senior promotion in order to identify and take action on the points at which black and ethnic minority people fall behind their white peers.
- Introduce measures to ensure junior ethnic minority lawyers have access to and sponsorship from senior management.
- Ensure race and racism are talked about in every induction and exit interview.
- Actively monitor interview and offer rates, retention rates, pay and promotion rates as they relate to ethnic minority lawyers.
The Race Fairness Commitment was introduced by Rare, the diversity recruitment specialist that has been helping law firms and others recruit talented candidates into tier-one graduate jobs for 15 years. Alongside many other firms, Howard Kennedy is committed to bringing about change. We are working with Rare, as well as other organisations, to further develop an inclusive culture and so change the legal profession.
Find out more about the UK Race Fairness Commitment: